
Well, this is going to be a "bits and pieces" post. That's kind of where it feels like we've been the last week and a half or so... As Jonathan talked about in our last post- we've been all over the northeast since two Fridays ago. We got back in Baltimore on Thursday evening and I have to admit, it's really nice to be in one spot for a little while. As you can see, driving around 2000 miles in one week began to make us a little stir crazy- Ethan especially. This was the last 20 miles or so driving back to Baltimore on Thursday- he'd had enough! :D

Then on Saturday some friends here in Baltimore had a cider pressing party! Basically they bought a pallet of apples and have an old fashioned cider press. So... everyone pitched in, feeding the apples into the press, cranking the press to chop the apples, then actually pressing the juice. It was really cool, so creative and fun to relax and catch up with people here. And to top it all off- the cider was AMAZING and each family got to take some home! Yay!! Thanks Cindy and Chris!


You know, this trip (the whole trip-Baltimore, Cape Cod-Boston, New York-and back)has been eye-opening for me... It's funny how we all get in our little rut, our own sphere of life and think that's how it is everywhere. I should know better! I've had the privilege of traveling to a number of different countries, and lived in different regions of the US- Midwest, South, etc. Yet, I came here, thinking that life in Baltimore would look like life in Charlotte. Turns out- it's a different culture. It's been really good, and occasionally frustrating, preparation for Indonesia- which will be a different culture to the Nth degree! So... here are some of the ways I've noticed life is different.
~People go to the ocean- not the beach.
~Seafood is a staple and fresh crab is almost everywhere, relatively cheap.
~The accent-obvious, right? But I mean the Baltimore accent (yes, my Baltimore friends, you have an accent!) The easiest to define is the letter "o"- as in "ocean" or "home" A Baltimore accent emphasizes the "o"- so pronounce the word "owe" including the "w" and you get a Baltimore accent- "We're going to the owe-cean."
~This is probably specific to the house we're in, but you can't put outgoing mail in the mailbox! I wrote some thank you notes, sealed, stamped them and then drove around for a week looking for a blue mailbox to send them out! Grr... So, if you're waiting for a thank-you note, I'm probably still looking for a mailbox! :D
~The fall colors really are so much more vivid here, it is a GORGEOUS time to be in the mid-Atlantic/New England. Beautiful!
~No Super Wal-Mart! I know! My Charlotte friends (some of you) are gasping, where would we grocery shop? I feel your pain, acutely actually. We've been here for a month and I've only been to Wal-Mart once!! Which leads me into...
~Food is WAY more expensive here. Almost twice as expensive, I have been to five different grocery stores and I think I just found one that has comparable prices to Harris Teeter. I'm going back there this week.
~Cider- okay, I know this is a weird observation, but cider is huge here. In North Carolina, you can find maybe one brand for a few weeks. But here, everyone has cider everywhere (ok, maybe not, but it sure feels like it for this Carolina girl!). And it is fresh and sweet and really flavorful. I love it!
~National ______- being so close to Washington DC provides lots of opportunities. Lots of people work for different aspects of the government, whether as independent contractors or full-time employees. Then there are all sorts of museums, etc. The National Aquarium (Jon's sister works there and got us tickets to the dolphin show- Ethan is still talking about it!), the Baltimore Zoo, the Maryland Science Center, the list goes on. Not to mention close and beautiful hiking and bike trails like Gunpowder Falls.
Ok, I'm sure there are more things, but I really don't want you dozing off in your chair at work, that wouldn't look good at all. :D Hope you all have a fantastic Tuesday! -a
Great to hear a update from you guys! Looks like everything is going really well! Miss you lots!
ReplyDeleteTell E I say Hi!
Sounds so adventurous! I look forward to reading more of your adventures and how The Lord is using you guys!! Ethan has gotten so handsome!!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Andrea Curtis