Walking around the house this morning trying to compose myself for yet another day. The noise starts early I open my eyes and begin to hear the drone and hum of the sounds of just another day. My little boy charges into the room, dying for my attention, the news is on casting just a little more distraction over the morning. In my mind I'm reviewing the events of yesterday, toiling over what I did or should have done, and I start my routine. We are at best creatures of routine aren't we? Then something catches my attention, a small voice on the radio...asking "who will love me for me? Not for what I have done or what I will become?"
We don't love well, we don't really play nice with each other. Our mothers would be disappointed. In this machine we chew up and spit out, we use for our purposes and then just as easily as we finish we throw away the parts that remain.
In part I think this is why Christ wept in Luke 19:41-44:
"If you, even you had only known on this day what would bring you peace-but now it is hidden from your eyes. The day will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side..."
I know that this is Jesus weeping over the city because of its ignorance, but how often are we in the same situation. Many times I have been guilty of walking around like a wounded animal seeking a refuge, lashing out in defense because of my pain. In these times we lash out at everybody, seeking for someone to supply a remedy, looking for peace... and the Lord weeps.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
~Matthew 11:28
We are offered peace, we are offered a love that goes beyond our comprehension, beyond even our own sense of justice. I don't know where you are today, I don't know what the events of yesterday held, but I do know the He is standing there offering His love, His peace. His love that sees "you for you, not for what you have done or what you will become".
I hope you find this freeing.
refreshing. thanks for the reminder amy.
ReplyDelete