"". Salt and Light: Not in Kansas anymore...

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Not in Kansas anymore...

So as we have been in this process of preparing to go we have often taken refuge in our own strength.  We have felt very self-reliant and in practice that is the ideology that we are taught from an early age.  We figure we have traveled, we're smart people, dealing with foreign culture should all be in a days work.  Right?  WRONG!

The other day I noticed a new Asian food store that opened up in our area only 3 miles from our home.  I thought that I might be able to find some great Indonesian products that I could take home and share with the family.  You know just to experience a little bit of Indonesia on safe and predictable grounds.  Control, it's all about the illusion......

DSC_0136
"Wall of Sauce"

So I walk into this store and suddenly find myself transported to a very distant land.  Suddenly I was the only pseudo white face in a sea of difference looking back at me.  I kindly gestured a "hello"  and went on my way in search of my Indonesian experience!  I walked down an aisle just like those we find in Walmart, floor to ceiling with shelves upon shelves of, I still don't know what.  I stood in this sea of merchandise and couldn't pick out tomato sauce from hot sauce, except one did have a picture of a chicken on it so I'm still not entirely sure what that meant.  I was not in Kansas anymore.

To enrich the experience I decided to walk around a little bit and see the sights.  Maybe I would find that one thing I was looking for.  Around the corner from the "wall of sauce" was a ginormous aquarium.  One large enough to house all the fresh fish anyone could ever want.  I watched as a man carefully deliberated on his selection.  As he found just the right fish, he carefully pointed to the man with the net and then to the fish.  With cat-like reflexes the worker scooped up that fish with his net and held it out for the man to further inspect.  After the determination of the suitable fish, I watched to see what would happen next.  I knew that fish's fate was sealed, but I wanted to see how this would be accomplished.  I know there's something wrong with me, I've learned to accept that.  But I figured that in our society we would have a "humane" and "sophisticated" way of ending the existence of this fish.  Nope, instantly he was thrown down on a large block table and in no time "KABAM" , "KABAM".  One more time the large hammer reminiscent of Donkey Kong's slammed down on the poor fish, "KABAM".  So much for the dignified sophistication on the Americas.  He was quickly gathered up and wrapped up and into this gentleman's shopping basket.  It was at that moment that with my mouth gaping open, almost touching the floor, I realized that I had no idea what we were in for!  I turned around and walked back to my car, quietly praying, "Lord prepare me".  And so He is........

DSC_0144
Yes these are the actual fish.  Watch out for the "Hammer" boys! Here fishy, fishy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a cultural experience! And good for you for getting into it a bit early, when you can!

    If you need recommendations for good Indonesian products to look for & buy, I'm sure I could give you some help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS we found Durian, but was too scared to buy it. It's quarantined in a freezer!

    ReplyDelete