We're in a weird time right now. Waiting for the birth of our daughter (who, quite honestly, we thought would be here by now even though she's not due for a few more days) and at the same time making as many preparations as we can for moving to Indonesia. If you look at our to-do lists, they are a strange combination of making sure we have diapers, wipes and other baby basics in between filling out visa paperwork for us and passport applications for the kids, making appointments to draw up our will, researching water filtration systems, etc. Life just looks different right now than it ever has before- in a weirdly good way.
The cool thing in all of this is that it feels like God is making sure that we see He is walking with us in all of it. Every sermon, Sunday school lesson, Bible study is tracking EXACTLY with where we are in that moment. Last Sunday, our Sunday school started a new series looking at "Good Church: Bad Church" using 1 Thessalonians as our example of a "Good Church." The question essentially was- what are the marks of a 'good' Christian and thereby a strong church? There were several points I'd be happy to share if you're interested, but (of course) the one that jumped out at me was- that a good Christian and a strong church waits expectantly for the imminent return of Jesus.
The teacher asked if anyone could identify with that and I almost jumped out of my seat (as if I could move that fast these days :D). Oh, yes! We are waiting expectantly for this sweet girl to make her appearance. Any plan that we have is with a caveat of "if we can!" or "if she hasn't come yet!" But what about the rest of my life, or yours? In normal life, do I make decisions and plans as if Jesus could show up at any moment- changing everything? What would it look like if I did? What if I made a conscious decision to live each day, each moment as if it were the last? How would my conversations change? My plans? My priorities?
So as I try my best to be patient and wait on the Lord's timing to meet this baby face to face instead of foot-to-ribs, He is teaching me to look at life as a whole expectantly. I certainly don't have it all figured out, but- hopefully with time (ironic, isn't it?) my outlook will change and I can live with waiting...expectantly!
No comments:
Post a Comment